Back to Article List
| Updated on Jul 28, 2016

Drinking Water in Turkey

When talking about drinking water in Turkey there are many different opinions on this matter. Personally I think the best option is to buy bottled water and avoid drinking tap water. It is perfectly safe to drink tap water since it is treated now a days. But when traveling I think we should stick to the safest option which is to drink bottled water.

Tap Water: Most locals insist it is ok to drink tap water, which probably is ok but think of your body and what it is used to. It is also important to keep in mind that in Turkey, tap water is heavily chlorinated. So not only may our organism not be used this much chlorine but it doesn’t taste well. I personally wouldn’t recommend drinking tap water. I would stay on the safe side and drink bottled water. There is no way drinking bottled water can go wrong. You save yourself a possible stomachache or diarrhea.

Tip! Brushing your teeth with tap water is perfectly safe.

Bottled Water: In Turkey, bottled water is cheap and is sold everywhere. All bottled water usually costs the same so don’t worry of having to wait and find the cheapest or best price.

Water Supply and Sanitation: is known in Turkey for its challenges but also for its achievements. The fact that today the access to drinking water has become almost universal shows Turkey has come a long way regarding water supply. Access to proper sanitation has also increased. An example of this is that wastewater collected through sewers are being treated.

Turkey still needs to work on expanding adequate sanitation in rural areas. A challenge they are looking forward to.

Today, access to water supply and sanitation in Turkey is high. Based on household surveys and census results, the Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation “estimates that 100% of the Turkish urban population had access to an improved water source in 2008. In rural areas, where less than a third of the population lives, 96% had access. In urban areas 97% had access to improved sanitation facilities, compared to 75% in rural areas. In urban areas, 95% were connected to sewers, the remaining 5% being served by septic tanks.”

Water Turkey

More Articles

Where am I From?
Check Visa Requirements
Follow Turkish Visa
Recent Posts
Beauty on a Turkish Cruise
Aug 26, 2016 / Travel
Carved in time
Aug 26, 2016 / Travel
An Aegean Trip
Aug 25, 2016 / Visa
A Turkish snapshot
Jul 29, 2016 / Travel
Get your Turkey E-Visa online today!
Add Comment